Sunday 12 July 2015

Diversity, equality and inclusion…. ignored

I met a lovely lady last year. She is an IPP prisoner; this means she has a minimum tariff, but in reality could be kept incarcerated for as long as the authorities want. This practice was abolished in 2012, but currently over 5000 IPP prisoners remain in prison, with over two thirds over tariff. More on this later…
This lady had a tragic start to life. One of 14 children she was a Vietnamese boat person. Those of you my age will remember Blue Peter campaigning about this situation and raising money to help this displaced generation, fleeing a conflict in which 65,000 were executed and a million sent to prison camps where about 165,000 died. Leaving the country was illegal so many escaped in makeshift boats. It is estimated that 1.5 million vietnamese escaped this way and around 10 percent of these drowned.
This lady spends most of her time on BASIC (28 days with little association and no tv)…and yet I never saw any behaviour that I would consider to be disruptive, aggressive, or of an offending nature. She didn’t bully anyone, kick off, fight or argue. She speaks very poor English, but on top of this has very obvious cognitive difficulties. This has actually been documented in her records (after a fight from other prisoners to get it recognised, yes that’s right… other prisoners!). However, it never seems to be taken into account (equality, diversity, inclusion…) when she is being punished or victimised.
This lady mainly gets in trouble for …. hoarding food in her room or taking her food out of the dining hall to eat later. Bearing in mind she spent her entire childhood starving and without knowing where the next meal is coming from, I fully understand this. So should the authorities, but they don’t. In fact, one officer even regularly stole from her room when he wanted sugar, milk or crisps for his office (a safer custody officer which is ironic) and would threaten her with an adjudication for storing food if she dared to complain!
One of her adjudications was for having vegetables from the garden in her room. They were being thrown away despite being perfectly edible. She cannot handle the idea of wasting food. Do you blame her?
She is the kindest and most giving person I met in jail. She takes note of all the other prisoners on her wing and what kind of food they like, and she redistributes the prison issue food to the right people. For example, I would give her my sugar, flavours of crisps I don’t like, sometimes things that came with my salad like crab sticks, noodles and so on. She would then give me hot chocolates as I don’t drink coffee and plain flavoured crisps.
She could appear argumentative, but actually she just has a very strong idea of fairness, always likes to know the rules and keep to them, and also has the aforementioned cognitive disability which means she will often question and question in order to understand.
I saw her bullied by officers, and I tried my best to stand up for and support her in any way I could. I smiled last week when I received a letter from her stating she had been taken off BASIC, as her most recent IEP had been revoked….. the one I appealed on her behalf before I left. :-). I just pray there is someone else to take over her care and support…..

No comments:

Post a Comment