Sunday 12 July 2015

Is it Working?

Women’s prisons in England are boarding school styled communities, where girls laugh, support each other, help and look after each other. The three southern jails I have had the joy of residing in are as disimilar to their media and political portrayal as chalk and cheese!
The female estate is not working, prison in general is not working and women in particular are being let down by the judicial system.
During my two year stint I kept my ears and eyes open to the disarray and chaos within the female estate and I did what I could to help those incarcerated within it.
My aim now is to work with agencies, charities, politicians, journalists, young people at risk of offending, and the unknowledgeable and often judgemental public to CHANGE an outdated, unworkable and often vindictive, dishonest and corrupt system.
Not a day went by without me noticing dishonest or deceitful behaviour from prison staff, whether officers, Governors or civilian staff. Surely in this last chance saloon for female offenders there should be an exemplar behavioural pattern from those responsible for the rehabilitation and care of women?
This blog will try to introduce you to the reality, the facts, of prison and the judicial system. It is about time it all came out and the system changes.
http://www.prisonreformtrust.org.uk/Portals/0/Documents/why%20focus%20on%20reducing%20womens%20imprisonment.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment